Thursday, November 05, 2009

The Blue Man


I am not one to dress up much for Halloween but for some reason, when I heard that we needed to come in costume to the party, even though I was working in the spook alley, I decided to go as one of the Blue Men from the Blue Man Group. I really didn't know much about them except that they were blue and they did shows. I had seen them a couple of years ago on those Intel TV commercials and they had intrigued me.

So, I went to the costume shop and they had everything I needed for feeling a little blue. Just $35 later (now I am really feeling blue) I was on my way out the door. Gaye did all of the hard work to make this happen, since she knew a lot more about make up than I did, and since she has a colleague at work who has done a lot of acting.

First came the cap. You glue the thing on! I guess that is why they send you home with the glue remover as well. Then there is the powder. No idea what that is for but they said I needed it. Then we started getting blue. It took about an hour to get me ready to walk out the door. But it was a great success. Lots of comments. Most of them were positive.

If I do this one again, though, I need to do some better prep. I went out to YouTube and watched a couple of clips from their concerts. They were really entertaining, like the DrumBone concert, or the I Feel Love concert. First thing is, they don't talk. The second thing is they drum on things like PVC pipes. And then, according to The Complex Tour there are standard rock concert movements that I need to be up on, such as Head Bobbing, the Fist Pump and Up Down Jumping Motion.

Now I have a plan. Shop for drumsticks (not the chicken kind). Shop for big pipes that will slide inside of each other. Practice drumming on everything until Gaye threatens me (and then just a few more to be sure she means it).

See you next Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment