Monday, June 14, 2010

A Day In The Life - 6/14: Bike Rides

I love riding my bike. I don't do it as often as I would like during the summer. It is not that it is too hot. While I am riding I am very comfortable. I am often riding at 9 or 10 at night but that doesn't help too much because the temperature is still hovering around 100 degrees even at that time of night.
The problem really comes when I stop riding. While I am moving the air keeps me nice and comfortable. But when I stop riding, even though I am in a nice cool house under a fan, my body has generated so much heat that it takes as much as an hour for me to cool down.
These pictures are of the area where I ride. The cities in the Phoenix Metro area have started using the canal areas as great places to make accessible to people who want to bicycle, run, walk or ride horses. It is nearly perfect because it is mostly away from traffic and the canals run all over the valley. These shots happen to be of the Tempe area where I ride. Tempe has not only paved the riding areas on one side of the canal (leaving the other side for riding horses), they have put designs in the pavement, added rest areas and drinking fountains. Near some of the parks they have put up netting to keep riders/runners from being hit by balls. There are bridges over the canal and walkways into neighborhoods, etc., to make these areas as accessible to everyone as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment