Tuesday, May 22, 2018

I Get To Choose How I Will Be Today


Cc1962.JPG

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same."
-- Carlos Castaneda



Isn't that a wonderful thought? I can feel however I choose to feel. I am not bound by circumstances to feel sad because unpleasant things happen to me. Nor am I obliged to be happy, simply because it is a great day and I am well off. I am the captain of my soul, I am the master of my of my fate, as the poet wrote.

I find it fascinating how much we get to decide in this life. Even when life is miserable we can have peace and enjoyment just as soon as we decide that it is how we are going to be. Take the weather, for example. I listen to people complain about the weather in Arizona all the time. Even when it is nice outside there is someone who insists that the weather is lousy. But amazingly, when we decide that the weather is going to be great, whatever the temperature. Suddenly it is better and with practice, it is great whatever the temperature.

In my work place it was always chilly. Even when I wore long sleeved shirts and a sweater I was still cold.Then one day I decided that the temperature was not going to decide whether I was cod or not. I decided to enjoy the cold. SURPRISE! Although it took about a year, I now love the temperature there and I often wear short sleeve shirts and I never wear a sweater.

You can learn to make those choices, too. When unpleasant things happen, learn to enjoy the experience. The worst meal I ever had in a restaurant is the one that we laugh the most about. The scrambled eggs had shells in every bite and the hot chocolate was so think that even a couple of ice cubes couldn't make it better. That guy must have really been having a bad day. But not me! Now when I get food that isn't the best, I can always claim that I've had worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment