Monday, February 21, 2011

A Day In The Life - 02/21/2011: Can I Get Some Water For My Straw?

 The first step in straw bale gardening is to water the bales for 10 days. For a few days in the middle you add fertilizer and water it into the bale.
Being somewhat familiar with myself after more than 50 years of association with me, I just knew that I would not be a reliable water boy.
 Therefore, the idea is to get "the system" to do that on its own. So the first thing that I had to do was to pull the watering lines for the garden up out of the ground and tap into them to also water the bales.
It took nearly 50 feet of soaker hose to double-cover 24 feet of bales. Pretty good estimating, huh.
Now, as can be seen in the picture, the water can drizzle slowly enough to soak into the bales rather than just running off, which seems to happen when using a hose to water them.

No comments:

Post a Comment