Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Day In The Life - 7/24: New Phones

I slept so late today I can't even believe it. I guess my candle needed rejuvenating. But after I got up at 8:30 Gaye played with Jase for awhile and then I finally got out of bed so we could go phone shopping. I have been putting this off for about 9 months now. My phone, which I got about 5 or 6 years ago when I first went cellular, is still working. It still calls perfectly from just about anywhere I need it to . . . except girls camp. I also have an iPod Touch where I keep all of my music, photos and games. But three things motivated me to finally do the dirty deed.
First, is that the DroidX has a huge screen, runs on a Google operating system and is open application (no restricted like the iPhone.) It will run any applications written for it without somebody voiding your warranty if you download something that is not authorized.
Second, I recently traveled to Dallas and even got quite lost a couple of times (which was really cool because I never get really lost) and Quentin had his phone which comes with a "Garmin" application that uses the GPS and Google maps to provide driving directions. That was worth the price of the phones right there.
Third, the real clincher was that rumor has it that the internet connection will go to a usage-based fee soon rather than getting unlimited usage for a flat fee. I don't really want to do that so that was the final motivator that I needed to get my bones in gear.
So, Gaye and I ended up buying two phones (which will be shipped to us in about a week), switching our plan from T-Mobile to Verizon and spending a lot of $$$ to do this. But I think it will be a fun adventure and we are once more the envy of all of our kids. :)
Now I need to buy the accessories - belt clip, car dash dock, extra charging cables/docks for car or work, ghost armor, etc., and figure out how to do my email to it. That will be an adventure in and of itself. Human Detected! Got to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment