Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tribute to Gayle Tinsley - Day 1

We had the unfortunate experience of traveling to Dallas for the funeral of my father-in-law, Gayle C Tinsley. What a great and terrible experience - on the one side I got to know more about the greatness of a person who I had already admired, and on the other hand, realized that I would not get to enjoy his company and guidance until I, too, go through the experience of death.
I learned what a great man he was in the world. He had been on the cover of Forbes magazine. He had worked as VP and President of Docutel where he lead his team in building his idea which was eventually known as the Automatic Teller Machine, or ATM. He also worked at Xerox as a senior VP.Also, he worked in sales at IBM and Poirot worked for him up to the time that he finally left the company to start his own company, Electronic Data Systems, or EDS.
But that was not the best part. I had the opportunity to spend some time reading through his set of scriptures. They were well marked, but not with notes about what various verses mean or the definition of words and phrases, but with notes regarding how he could become more Christ-like. It certainly made me reconsider my scripture study focus. It was a wonderful experience to get to see him on a more personal level than I might have ever done otherwise.

When we finally arrived in Dallas after a 20-hour drive, Hero decided that she should ride with the luggage to the room at the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment