Monday, April 18, 2011

A Day In The Life - 04/18/2011: Straw Bale Garden Going Well

 The experiment of the straw bale garden seems to be going well. The tomatoes are growing tall and I have had to tie them up several times already. I did make one mistake, however . . . maybe two.
First, be sure that you plant those with similar watering needs in the same watering string so that ones that want lots of water don't drown out the those that need less water.
The other thing that I would change would be to line the bales from east to west rather than north to south and plant the tall plants on the southern line so that they can help shade those that are shorter.
But, nevertheless, I seem to be seeing pretty good results and am hopeful for a great harvest. I am seeing the green premonitions of the harvest to come. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment