Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Day In The Life - 10/20: Call the Vise Squad!

 I bought a bench vise for my shed. I had narrowed the selection down to two and, spending my cash, I decided on the smaller, cheaper one. But the salesman couldn't find one in stock so I asked him to make me a great deal on the other. He sold it to me for the same price as the smaller one and gave me the same discount on a couple of other items that I was getting. As you can see from the photos, this thin is humongous! And it weighs about as much as three of our kids. I am going to have to reinforce the bench in order to be able to mount the thing.
When I get done mounting this vise I will need to also drill some holes in the bench top so that the brass pins (seen at the left) can be placed in the holes so that larger pieces of wood can be held for working on. That should also all but eliminate the need for the two other vises (small red one seen on the right side of the picture to the left, fore ground of the picture above.)
It is just a reminder: If you want a discount, ask for it. All they can do is say no. And if it is not worth what they are asking, go somewhere where they will give you a better price. Now, just to keep my fingers from getting squished really flat . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment