Friday, October 01, 2010

A Day In The Life - 10/01: A Knife and a Gift

I had some extra vacation time that I need to use by the end of the year or lose it so I decided that I would take off every Friday during October (and December). And since we had decided to not go to Conference this time but had already scheduled the vacation time for it, I have Monday off as well.
As you have read previously, I have the Varsity Scouts over making knives. I get caught up in the action every time we do this project but I can't be teaching the boys (and leaders) and watching their safety as well so I must do my work when they are not here. So yesterday was the first time since right at the beginning back in July that I got a chance to take my blade from a piece of steel that had a design roughly cut out to something that is ready for the finishing touches. Now I am ready to start on my knife handle, which will be another fun piece of art.
As Gaye and I sat at home last night catching up on a couple of recorded TV shows there was a knock at the door. To our wonderful delight, Kathy Gannon was there with some conference gifts for us. She had spent the day (and probably much longer) baking goodies, creating a booklet of her favorite recipes and had created a book for conference notes. And then, being the marvelously creative friends that they are, she decorated each item with stamps, cut-outs, bows, fabric and sparkle-ies.
This is a closer view of the wonderful Conference notebook that Kathy made. Check out the "jewels" at the tips of the temple spires, the hand-made flower, the bows and ribbons, the book mark, the label near the bottom and even the tab attached to the pages for the first session of conference. Oh, it is wonderful to have such talented friends who are so willing to share with us. What a blessing it is to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment