Friday, December 10, 2010

A Day In The Life - 12/10/2010: Swinger Climbs Ladder

 Here I am. It is my day off. I mean, a vacation day, right? But I am out enjoying myself in the yard. December is a wonderful time of year in Arizona. While the rest of the world shovels snow we enjoy weather that is mild, in the 70s and 80s.
So, I am out in the sun enjoying sitting in the yard reading an eBook when I get this urge to clean up this corner of the yard where I have been storing jungle gym parts for a couple of years now. You know the story - "If you'll come take this apart and haul it away you can have it for free." Free is the hook, and I took it down to the sinker. But some of the wood was in bad condition and I just never got around to rebuilding the jungle gym. And, mind you, the grand kids aren't getting any younger.
So I figure that I can use a lot of this weathered wood for some wood working projects. So I haul it out to the shed and begin stacking it. Pretty soon, all that is left is this bunch of hardware. I start looking around and this idea just kind of pops into my head.
I have this great tree right in my yard and it is finally getting big enough to be of some use. Pretty soon I am on a step stool drilling holes in my tree.
First it is two holes in this really strong branch (I hope) and a couple of massive hooks that I just happen to have stashed away for just such an occasion. Soon a swing is hanging from the tree branch.
Then it is a couple of holes into the trunk and a branch and all of a sudden, almost like magic, there is a blue ladder on my tree.
Well, being the kid that I am I just have to "test" these new kid toys out. The first ride in the swing is a careful one. Although I have hung from that branch a bunch of times I am not sure what swinging from a branch that now has holes in it will do. But soon I am swinging high and loving it.
Then it is up to the branches of the tree on the ladder. I will need to do a little bit of pruning so that the kids don't break things or hurt themselves or fall out of the tree. I've seen what happens to those baby birds who fall out of their nests. It would probably be better if that didn't happen to the grand kids . . . or to me. So, I just thought that you ought to know that I am a swinger again, in the very best sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment