Monday, November 14, 2011

A Day In The Life - 09/10/2011: Burn, Baby, Burn!

 I decided that I needed one of those cool burn barrels that lots of people in our neighborhood use to make a fire while they sit in their driveway or on the back patio.
I had this 50-gallon drum from my sojourn in Tucson that the goats used to climb onto and so I cut off a third of it.
 Jennie had this stainless grill hat came with her new sink that she didn't want. I got out my trusty cutter and trimmed the corners off of it.

I took the short barrel and cut some breather lines in the lower part of the barrel and then painted the whole thing black.
 I had cut the grill a bit on the large side because I wanted it to fit into the rings of the barrel. I jammed one corner into the groove and then did my hammer thing with my rubber mallet . . . and when that failed, a few taps from teh 4-pound sledge convinced it to co-operate.
Knowing that this thing would get really hot, I trimmed a couple of would spacers, tapered them to match the curve of the barrel and fastened the handle to my new cooker.

We tried it out on Halloween. It does a wonderful jon of keeping things warm. We may have to find a few more reasons to use this portable fireplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment