Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Day In The Life - 11/24/2010: Of Doors And Water Closets

Ah, yes. There is nothing in the fall like the smell of a fresh coat of paint. Actually, I prefer a variety of paint sources. You begin with a gallon of your favorite flavor. Ours was avocado or one of it's lighter-colored cousins. Mmmmm . . . smell the aroma. You can almost see the rollers rolling and the brushes "side side, no up down." The blue tape surrounding everything is just the perfect final touch to a perfectly painted room. (I think I'm feeling a little light headed from the fumes.)
Then it is on to the door. On this one Gaye and I had a difference of opinion. She thought I should take the door off. I had primered it while still hanging-why should I need to remove it to spray paint it?
It was her turn to win so I took the door off. (Do you know how hard it is to keep two cats and a dog in the house when there is no front door?) So it was everybody out to the back yard. Of course, the cats immediately went over the wall. I wasn't being too successful as the warden of this furry little prison. But I still had the dog in leg irons.
I laid the door on the saw horses popped the top on a can of hammered bronze and started to spray. And then it happened! It started spattering - spraying blobs of paint on my nicely sanded door. And then I noticed that paint was dripping off of the end of my spray finger. Oops. Good thing that I had my hand-spandex on. You know, those stretchy plastic gloves that the doctors wear. So, I shook the paint off of my finger and tried to get my finger out of the way of the flying paint. It all went well after I got the spots sanded down and re-painted.
And I still think I could have done it still hanging.

No comments:

Post a Comment