Friday, December 02, 2011

A Day In The Life - 10/14/2011: The Friendship Tree

 Today I really did go walk-about. On my two little footsies. I think I must have walked about 30 miles down the beach but that is probably just a fish story. But it was far enough that it would have been supper time before I could get back - so Gaye and Beth came and retrieved me.
 I was not too far past this souvenir shop when my wandering ended and so we decided to see the loads of interesting kitsch that they carried. And I got a T-shirt.
 Then it was off to McDonald's for lunch with its lovely view of the beach . . . and the parking lot.

 Down the road at the women's college is this massive "friendship" oak tree. It is hard to show in these small photos just how massive this thing is.
 The trunk going straight through is nearly 6 feet thick  at the base - which also appears to be the narrowest part of the trunk. It is also about 15 feet in diameter.

As you will see below on the sign, this tree is over 500 years old and was a sapling when Columbus arrived. It has also, obviously, survived Katrina.
 And out two lovely Vana White contestants adorn the sign.

The diminutive Miss Gaye Stands under the tree to add some perspective. After I had hoisted myself into the branches and did a bit of climbing I finally saw the sign asking us not to do that. Isn't that just the way it is. Have fun then there is a sign about it. :-)

 This is NOT the same tree. This is a wimpy tree by comparison. It is 50 yards or so from the Friendship Oak. This one is the "Creepy Vines Crawling Up My Trunk" oak. But I thought that they looked kind of cool. They are all dead and gnarly. And, surprisingly, gnarly is a word according to my spelling dictionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment