Saturday, December 10, 2011

There's a Tent in my Kitchen!

Some time back I determined that someone might as well get some use out of all of my camping gear that I had collected of the past 30 years since the extent of my camping seemed to be sleeping in a cabin for the Mogollon Rendezvous. So I proceeded to give my Dutch Ovens to the Varsity Team and most of the rest of it to Drew. I figured that I could either borrow it back if I needed it or I would need to purchase more up-to-date equipment should I have a need for it again.

Well, Drew promptly moved off to Montana where he can use it a lot. And recently I was asked to be the Boy Scout Varsity Coach. YES! Now I can buy all of the new stuff that I need. Then I looked at the prices. YIKES! REI had tents from about $179 to $400+. Who would buy a 12-year-old a $200 tent?

So I headed the my least favorite place in the world, WalMart. But they had a pretty good looking tent (at least from the picture on the box) for about $55. Much closer to my price range.

I guess I should have read the information just a little closer. When I opened it up to be sure that all of the pieces were there and so that I would know how to put it up (in the dark, as many scout outing begin), I laid it out in the area between the kitchen and family room.

IT TOOK UP THE WHOLE AREA! It was humungous. I can stand up in it, sleep long-ways with all of my equipment (there is a closet), and still have room for four more people!

Oh - the label says that it sleeps six and will hold two queen air mattresses. I only need one. I might need two if Gaye goes camping with me, but she is a Marriott camper so that is not real likely.

I still need a new sleeping bag, camp stove, Dutch Ovens and other odds and ends so we will see if I learn to read between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment