Tuesday, December 06, 2011

A Day In The Life - 10/15/2011: Alabama

 Today is Saturday. Drew is off work. It is time for a road trip. You know how I am. I have to visit a couple of close states so that I can say that I have been there.
But first, I had to take a picture of this cool house that I saw on my walk-about. Check out the detail at the crown of the roof and on the entryway.

 So, off we go to Alabama. Yes, the state of, and also the battleship by the same name.
It begins with not only the propeller ont he front grounds but also a bunch of WWII ground equipment...like this guy in the tank top and hat.
 And this tank, appropriate considering the fashion style demonstrated by Drew above.
 Finally, we board the battleship Alabama. One of the first places we see on our self-guided tour is Uncle Stan's office - the dentist. This one just looks painful.
 Finally, after many interesting below deck items we emerge again to the main foredeck.

 I finally found a place where I could get a decent view of the massiveness of this ship but I had to go to the very point of the bow to do it.

Gaye is testing out the anti-aircraft deck guns.
 There was also an air museum where we checked out several planes including this A-12 stealth bomber. I think it was the predecessor to the B-2 bomber.
 And this lovely transport plane on the field - a C3 cargo plane, maybe?
 Then we boarded the submarine and I'll be danged if I can remember the name of this critter. But it was pretty cool as well.
 This is the aft torpedo tube room. I am really glad that I am not the guy who has to keep all of this brass nice and shiny. Please, let me peel potatoes or clean latrines in stead. Cancel that last request. No head buffing, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment