Thursday, September 02, 2010

A Day In The Life - 9/3: My Holiday Begins

It is the beginning of the Labor Day weekend. I know that it is only Friday. But I was bold enough to take Friday and Tuesday in addition to the weekend and the Monday holiday to make this a nice long "restful" time. But it is not really working that way - as usual.
It is again something over 110 degrees during mid-day but I am up early. I have breakfast and drive Gaye to work (she does not get the day off from her class of third-graders). So it is no longer "cooler" by the time I get started.
First there is all of the summer garden plants to clear. The tomatoes have over-run the place. The weeds have under-run the place, meaning that under every tomato plant that I take out there are weeds being way too prolific. So, step one on my list is to clear the landscape. As you can see from the photo, I got a barrel full. I added a few branches from the trees that were hanging low.
The next job was to clear the watering lines and shade out of the way.
Now comes that hard part - Roto-Tilling. The great thing is that, in years past, I did all of this with a pick and shovel. But, to do it right still takes a fair amount of time and lots of muscling the machine along the course that you want it to take. Otherwise it wanders and you get rows that are much less that arrow straight. It is so hot that I do a couple of passes and go in to cool off and then a couple more passes and go in to cool off. So I am just finishing up the first run of the entire garden just before dark around 7:00 pm. It has been a long day, interspersed with a couple of TV shows, some reading of a Nevada Barr book and a movie or two. It is a good day to be off from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment