Monday, March 14, 2011

A Day In The Life - 03/14/2011: Straw and Steaks

Sorry for the misspelling - that should have been "Stakes".
The next step in the straw bale gardening took place today. I bought a couple of 2x8x8' boards and put them on the table saw and generated 9 2x3/4x8' stakes with beveled ends. With most of them I could work them into the bales by hand but there were a couple where I had to get out my nine pound hammer (which weighs 4 pounds) and give them some encouragement. And that is really hard when you have to hit the top of an 8-foot stick that is sitting on top of a 2-foot bale of straw.
 I finally get all of the bales pierced - some more than once. Next they all get their tats . . . but I digress.

Next was the bondage step. I tied them all up. With twine. We usually use leather and I was all out of fresh hemp, so twine it was. While not yet being useful, I hope to one day see that my little sprouts will grow to become dependent on my hemp . . . twine, for support. And stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment