Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Day In The Life - 03/31/2011: Tne New Trees

As you may remember, I planted a couple of new Chilean Mesquite trees back a month or two ago. For a long time they did nothing, even when the weather turned warm. So I began checking for instructions for watering, etc. I found that, unlike most other things that you buy from the nursery, they do NOT want you to water every day and keep the soil moist. In fact, it is mostly the opposite. Every 10 days is sufficient, they say.
I had noticed that the few leaves that remained on the sticks after the nursery trimmed them back for winter were turning yellow and that is a sign of too much water.
So I cut them back to about two weeks between watering and all of a sudden leaves started sprouting all over the place. I am pleased as punch and figure that these will probably do all right now that they are getting established. I guess that they just have a dry sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment