Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Day In The Life - 8/31: Dave Ramsey Week Two

This week I had to go to class by myself. Gaye had open house (or something like that) after school and then book group. They talked about the two kinds of people that are dealing with money and budgets. There is the Nerd (me) who loves to do budgets and has everything just in order to excess. They want to mange every penny of their finances so they can afford to do somethings. Then there is the Free Spirit kind of person. They are not interested in budgets, cant get to tab three on the spreadsheet, and want to have a life. Gaye is sort of in this category. At least, she hates doing budgets and being "forced" into managing money. He pegged us so perfectly it made me laugh for the entire hour. He also talked about teaching kids about money management. He talked about giving commission rather than allowance. He doesn't make allowance for his kids, he pays them commission - if you work you get paid and if you don't work, you don't get paid. You also do some jobs just because you are part of the family. And one of his daughters bounced a check. Can you imagine being Dave Ramsey's child and bouncing a check? He made her go down to the bank and and apologize to the bank manager for lying to them. She told them that she had money in her account when that was not true. How would that have changed my perspective on finance if I had a similar experience when I was younger. But this class was so good that I convinced Gaye to go with me to the other class on Thursday so that she wouldn't miss not only the lesson but the fun, fun, fun presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment