Sunday, August 08, 2010

A Day In The Life - 8/7: Return From Utah

Quentin and I stayed at the Residence Inn in Provo. Let me amend - I stayed at the Residence Inn. Quentin, on the other hand, went and had some fun with Nick Rasmussen on Friday night and then, when Jon Hendricks got off work, they went and hung out with some of Jon's friends until who knows how late (or early). All I know is that at 1:00 am Jon is knocking on people's doors inviting them to come over and hang out.
The next morning, Quentin and Jon had a basketball game scheduled for 8:00 am. There were probably a few minutes between their fun and the game for them to sleep.
When the basketball game was over, Jon and Q came to the hotel and we went over to Jon's Dad's house. Q and I had a great visit, with everyone anxious to show me their wonderful garden. I should say "gardens", plural. They not only have a great vegetable garden behind their house, they have corn growing by the shed, several grow boxes and hanging planters on the porch and a new place over the new root cellar for another one. It was spectacular.
I decided that our route home was to be via Las Vegas. Jennie had asked to use some of my M&M dispensers at her new job at the University of Phoenix but I was reluctant to lend that stuff. But, since I had to come home anyway, why not through Las Vegas by way of the M&M store? Now THAT was a fiasco.
We got to the store with no problem, thanks to the Driod GPS Navigator. But then, there was nowhere to park. Finally I stopped and told Q to drive around the block until I got what I needed. I had a bus honking and some security guy telling me I couldn't stop there - but then it was too late. I was out and Q was gone.
The store was crowded and busy, busy, busy. I finally picked out a couple of items and then had to wait in the line for several minutes to check out. I walked out the door and down to the corner where we had turned and called Q. He was already right at the corner where I was, so I jumped into the car and we were off.
The next stop on the tour home was Quentin's choice. He wanted to drive over the new bridge at Hoover Dam. It is a span that is costing hundreds of millions of dollars to allow traffic to bypass the dam itself. There would certainly be some spectacular views of the Dam from up there.
This is the view of the bridge and waterway looking over the edge from the top of the Hoover dam.








Unfortunately, the span is not yet complete. It looks good from down where we were located but there are still cranes on the top doing some sort of work. Rats! It would have been great to be able to cross way up there and Gaye has no desire to cross it in any manner whatsoever. I guess another trip with Quentin is in order. :)



This statue of the early climbers who helped set the footings for spanning the river and getting equipment across and down seemed an appropriate setting for this place with the new bridge in the background.






This is the new view point across from the visitor's center. By the way, on Saturday at 6:30 pm, it is closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment